tinted by JPJ

(1/1)

makaveli:
All about Tinting

Tinting is a “must” nowadays, especially in countries like Malaysia. Some people have the money, paying RM1.8k to V-Kool and get your car done..fine, you are good to go. But if some of you have slightly tight budget and wonders what’s need to be considered when tinting your car, this topic may just help you.

#1 Consideration: JPJ Regulations

Quote from JPJ:

“Kaedah 5 (1) dan Kaedah 5 (3),Kaedah-Kaedah Kenderaan Motor (Larangan Mengenai Jenis-Jenis Kaca Tertentu) Pindaan 2000, menetapkan cermin cermin depan hendaklah telus cahaya tidak kurang 70%, manakala cermin belakang dan tepi hendaklah telus cahaya tidak kurang dari 50%.”

The above quote simply means that for all cars on the road (exclude for those whose apply for exemption), the VLT (Visible Light Transmission) of a car windscreen should not be less then 70% where else the back glass and both side windows VLT’s should not be less then 50%. However for those who have health problem and threat, you can apply for exemption which information can be found at JPJ website (www.jpj.gov.my)

#2 Consideration: Brand of Tinting Company

RIKE-COOL

Rike-cool is a local-based company found on December 2001 and now has over 70 members all over Peninsula Malaysia. If one is looking at quality and willingly to allocate a little bit more, then Rike-Cool might be the choice for you. Many of the forumers here already got their tinting done at Rike-Cool and most of them came back with positive opinions. For more information of Rike-Cool tinting products, you can head to our specially allocated section under the Market Place sub-forums or you can choose to directly visit Rike-cool branch at PJ. It’s located inside Jalan 222.

No. 2, Jalan Kilang 51/206,
46050 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.
Tel: 603-7770 6688/ 6868
Fax: 603-7770 6689

*p/s: For those who want to get special discounts from Rike-Cool, please apply to be our MYVIC Premium Member. Do not ask where or how, as it can be found easily..if you surf around

http://forum.myviclub.com/index.php?showforum=49

V-KOOL

V-Kool would be the pioneer of the tinting industry in Malaysia. Those who are looking for clear and effective tints should go on and visit V-Kool branch. From survey, the tint quality of v-kool are good, workmanship are professional and comes with a period of warranty (could not get more information on this thou). The only concern when considering on v-kool is the price. Price ranges from RM900 up to RM2000 depending on the package you choose and the car itself. Below is a rough list of v-kool packages available:

V-Kool (Malaysia) can be access at http://www.v-koolmalaysia.com/ (currently down to *) or you guys can head directly to their branch located in PJ as below. It’s quite easy to be located as it is around PJ SS2 roundabout:

Address: Lot 3,
Lorong 19/1B, Petaling Jaya,
Selangor 46300
Malaysia
Phone No: 03-79585922

OTHER BRANDS

Below is a list of other brands which have positive feedbacks:

Right Cool – is another local brand tint. Similar strategies with Rike-Cool. Positive comments saying its cheap and good service. Can be accessed at www.rightcool.com (currently down as well)

Eco-Tint and Air-Cool – not exactly the tint I will recommend you, but its at a reasonable price. Negative comments stating that customers do not feel the different before and after.

#3 Consideration: What should I look at when choosing a tint

- Colour: This is of course very important and usually up to your own taste. However, having some colours matching with your cars may look very weird, and sometimes ugly. Example, black cars are usually adviced to use silver/black tint. Try imagining using green tint..well, I could not even imagine

- VLT (Visible Light Transmission): Consider this carefully if you do not want to get into trouble with JPJ. As above stated, please do not exceed the amount. Please be also advised that our stock glass / window do have a certain negative percentage of VLT simply meaning do not choose tint VLT up to 70% exactly for your windscreen as your stock windscreen may have, e.g. -2% VLT, simply brings to 68% VLT only

- UV (Ultra-violet) Rejection: Having a high UV % is recommended. Most of the high-end tint usually have up to 99% UV rejection. It is important as UV radiation can lead to faster ageing of the skin and risk of having skin cancer caused by ultra-violet rays.

- IR (Infra-red) Rejection: IR simply mean heat. The higher IR rejection a tint have, the better it will do in head shielding. If you guys are looking for tints that can really keep your car cool, look for tints that have high IR rather then VLT. However, high IR tints usually cost a fortune

Frequent Question and Answers (FAQ)

Question 1:
My SA offers me “free” tint. He told me it cost around RM500. If I do not take the offer, he will just give me RM100-200 cash

Answer:
Take the cash. The tint SA provide are usually rubbish as SA will earn a lot from the tinting company. Most of the people actually took the offer end up removing them and applying another tint.

Question 2:
I saw a lot of attractive tints in Brothers. Its real cheap and good as I was told.

Answer:
Buy it and you’ll regret it later. Although some shops may offer you good VLT, IR, UV or whatever, another factor you might want to consider is the tint quality itself. From what people are saying, brothers provides the cheap tint quality and bad services.

Question 3:
Can I like tint my back window (triangle) below VLT 50%?

Answer:
No. JPJ rules apply to all section of your car. Tinting that part is not allowed and can be fined.

*credit to ivanlmh

Misz_Ay@ko:
Quote from JPJ:

“Kaedah 5 (1) dan Kaedah 5 (3),Kaedah-Kaedah Kenderaan Motor (Larangan Mengenai Jenis-Jenis Kaca Tertentu) Pindaan 2000, menetapkan cermin cermin depan hendaklah telus cahaya tidak kurang 70%, manakala cermin belakang dan tepi hendaklah telus cahaya tidak kurang dari 50%.”

The above quote simply means that for all cars on the road (exclude for those whose apply for exemption), the VLT (Visible Light Transmission) of a car windscreen should not be less then 70% where else the back glass and both side windows VLT’s should not be less then 50%. However for those who have health problem and threat, you can apply for exemption which information can be found at JPJ website (www.jpj.gov.my)

nih yg iya selalu nampak kat keter di jalan... dah terbalik.... tinted cermin sisi 70%..cermin belakang almost 90%..huhuhu... tak takot ker? yelah mmg sporty, but biler dah kene tahan suh ketepi tu.... tak ke menyusahkan idop? but nak buat mcmner... its ur car dude.. hehehehehhehe....

ape2pun ikotlah saranan kerajaan... hee hee hee...

mushroomcute:
Cakap bab tinted ni...Ada sesapa boleh advise mana2 tmpt yg ok nak tinted cermin di area Johor.terutamanya JB? N kalau boleh bagi nasihat harga sekali. Takut tertipu...

Navigation

[0] Message Index